No movie is complete without characters. I mean, you kind of need them to actually have one. And it’s fair to say that some characters are better than others. With that in mind, I present to you my list of favourite characters from movies, with a reason why. The characters are also in no particular order. Please note that I’m constantly adding to this list.
– Jules Winnfield, played by Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction. He was just so badass and awesome. Jackson kills it (and Brett) in this role and he’s one of the many reasons why I love Pulp Fiction so much.
– Thor, played by Chris Hemsworth in Thor: Ragnarok and Avengers: Infinity War. It’s really in these two films for me that Hemsworth proves he’s the man for this role.
– Korg, played by Taika Waititi in Thor: Ragnarok. Name a funnier character in a movie. I dare you.
– Alan, played by Zach Galifianakis in The Hangover. Okay, another hilarious character. Beat that.
– John Doe, played by Kevin Spacey in Se7en. Though Spacey is kind of frowned upon today, you must admit his villain in Se7en was fantastic.
– Ricky Baker, played by Julian Dennison in Hunt for the Wilderpeople. For such a young actor the way Dennison played this role was outstanding, and his moments on screen had me laughing quite a bit.
– Hans Landa, played by Christoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds. Such a fun and entertaining character and it was great to see Waltz have a good time playing Landa.
– King Schultz, played by Christoph Waltz in Django Unchained. Christoph Waltz shines again and is honestly amazing in this film. Definitely deserving of that Oscar he won for playing King Schultz.
– Django, played by Jamie Foxx in Django Unchained. Much like Jules Winnfield, Django was such an awesome character that Jamie Foxx immersed himself into and delivered a spot on performance.
– Elastigirl, voiced by Holly Hunter in The Incredibles. In terms of the character herself, Mrs Incredible was such good fun to watch and one of the best parts of The Incredibles.
– Murph Brand, played by Jessica Chastain in Interstellar. I thought that the way Chastain executed her role in Interstellar was amazing, and Murph as a character was also awesome.
– Regina George, played by Rachel McAdams in Mean Girls. A fantastic and memorable performance from McAdams who made Regina George a favourite character for quite a few people.
– Rich Pumell, played by Donald Glover in The Martain. Though his role in The Martain was smaller than I would’ve liked, Glover was amazing and hilarious.
– X-23, played by Dafne Keen in Logan. As a young actress, Keen’s delivery here was impeccably awesome.
– Wolverine, played by Hugh Jackman in all the X-Men films (except X-Men Origins: Wolverine, for obvious reasons). It’s pretty hard to imagine anyone but Hugh playing Wolvie, especially as he has been in all the X-Men films.
– Deadpool, played by Ryan Reynolds in Deadpool and Deadpool 2. Ryan Reynolds has been in quite a few movies. Some good and some bad. It’s evident that Reynolds was born for this role and I couldn’t imagine anyone better suited to play Deadpool.
– The Bride, or Beatrix Kiddo, played by Uma Thurman in Kill Bill Vol 1. Admittedly, I prefer The Bride in Kill Bill Volume 1. Thurman was so badass and stylish and just amazing as The Bride.
– Bill, played by David Carradine in Kill Bill Vol 2. Though Bill was a bit of an asshole for what he did to The Bride, Carradine’s execution of the character was fantastic.
– O-Ren Ishii, played by Lucy Liu in Kill Bill Volume 1. Liu was just so awesome in this film. I had to include her.
– Joker, played by Heath Ledger in the Dark Knight Trilogy. This is honestly one of the best pieces of acting ever. In my opinion. But admit it. He was absolutely fantastic.
– Joe, played by Joaquin Phoenix in You Were Never Really Here. Phoenix is a great actor, but he really shone for me in this film. If you haven’t checked it out, as it was a phenomenal film.
– Forrest Gump, played by Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump. One of the most iconic movie characters of all time in a perfectly executed role by Tom Hanks.
– Danny Butterman, played by Nick Frost in Hot Fuzz. One of my favourite movie characters, as Frost is amazing in Hot Fuzz.
– Vito Corlene, played by Marlon Brando in The Godfather Trilogy. How awesome of a guy was Vito? He deserves to be on this list.
– Darth Vader, played by James Earl Jones in the original Star Wars trilogy. One of the most iconic villains in cinema history, Darth Vader rightfully gets a spot on this list.
– Mufasa, voiced by James Earl Jones. The Lion King was and still is an amazing piece of cinema. Mufasa is one of the best characters ever and makes the film even better.
– Killmonger, played by Michael B Jordan in Black Panther. For a villain in a Marvel film, Killmonger was fantastic, and it’s really down to how he was portrayed by Michael B Jordan.
– Emmet, voiced by Chris Pratt in The Lego Movie. In his most lovable role yet, Emmet is a easily a favourite character.
– Ryan, played by Billy Magnussen in Game Night. A character who never failed to make me laugh and made the film so much better, Billy Magnussen’s Ryan is deserving of a spot on this list.